Wednesday, March 18, 2009

An Essay on Liquor Puritanism and Predestination

Or, "Come On! This Is Totally Unfair!"

Today is the day after St. Patrick's Day, and I feel hung-over as hell.

I'm sure you are shocked.

However, the honest truth is: I didn't have a drink last night. Not even one. No consultation with Dr. Scotch. No check-up from Nurse Bourbon. No snake oil purchased from my chiropractor, "Dr." Cheapvodka. Not even a back-alley abortion from a twelve pack of Corona that dropped out of Pre-Med.

I haven't gotten drunk on St. Patrick's day in a long time. I'm guessing 7-8 years. I don't like crowded bars to begin with, and I certainly don't like going out to capacity-filled bars loaded with part-time drinkers priming themselves to puke green-food-colored Miller Lite on my shoes.

St. Patrick's day is to the average social drinker what Easter Mass is to the lapsed Catholic. It's that one day a year to get dressed up in your finest faded Levi's 560s, green polo, and team-inappropriate-green MLB cap, snap on your snazziest puka-shell choker, and meander and sway obnoxiously in public at 3 in the afternoon, ready to pick a fight with no one in particular about nothing at all.

All that is well and good, if you're one of those idolators who think that one perfunctory and overwrought visit to church a year can save your soul,1 or one of those drinkers that are into showiness and ceremony over the message.

But give me that Old Crow Religion. It's good enough for me.

Drinking shouldn't be all about who's wearing what beads, how to download which Dave Matthews song on the internet jukebox, or where to find the Morning After Pill after "What the Hell Was I Thinking." That obscures the message. The Word. 2 The Price.3

Drinking should be a personal experience, between you and, ultimately, your Porcelain God. Those of us who have boiled booze down to it's purest message don't need the cheap vulgarity of sports bars and faux-Irish pubs to drink. Drinking belongs in simple, dimly lit rooms, with dark, simple wood and a bartender that can be reached in under 30 minutes. Sure, hot wings are a nice option, but a simple bowl of stale peanuts is just as holy.

So, much as the Puritans denouced Christmas as a pagan holiday with no relevance to their Lord, I denounce our current conception of St. Patrick's day as a false idol. Let us have a St. Patrick's day of the soul, one not bound by the calendar or Notre Dame shirts. Let every man, woman, and poorly looked-after child drink their fill in his or her own measure, and not bow to a tradition as meaningless as watching televised golf.

THAT, my dear reader, is why I do not drink on St. Patrick's Day.

And yet I woke up with a hangover. One that hasn't gone away. I have the headache, shakiness, and vague sense of nausea of a bog-standard whisky-induced hangover. You know, the thing baseball players used to call "flu-like symptoms." But this ain't no flu.

All of this proves Calvin was right. I am predestined to suffer for my sins, whether I commit them or not. For booze is a harsh mistress, and demands much from her worsphippers. But who am I to question? Dr. Scotch moves in mysterious ways.

Peace be with you.



  1. Or that you even HAVE a soul...but that's for another blog at another time written by another person than me.
  2. Thunderbird
  3. Forty twice.

7 comments:

Cletus Hookworm said...

I'm searching and parsing and otherwise analyzing this post, but I see no Ghostbusters nor Dick Miller content. Has this blog just added Ted McGinley to the cast?!?!?!?!

Wolter said...

Funny you should mention that.

My next post will be addressing both of those discrepancies.

Alibear said...

I am remiss to point out that it was most likely the smell of Sparky's breath OR the smell of his brown-eyed wonder that may have caused some dehydration in your body, thus, the hangover-feeling. Or it could be that you don't drink enough water. Heathen.

Alibear said...

Snake wine?

I can honestly say I was not expecting that.

Wolter said...

I also wasn't expecting Alibear to still be logged in when I posted that last comment...

FlexFantastic said...

I don't let the masses reverse-dictate to me when I do or don't drink. I just drink heavily as often as possible, St. Patty's day included.

It's a little virtue Joe Morgan likes to call: Concepcion. I mean... consistent consistency. Concepcion.

On a related note, have you noticed how there aren't any GREAT drunks anymore, just a lot of pretty good ones?

Arcturus said...

St. Patrick's Day and New Year's are prime examples of amateur hour. No self respecting professional drinker practices his trade in bars on those nights.