Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Zen and the Art of Procrastination

Or, Is Anyone Still Even Writing This, Much Less Reading It?

Holy hell, my poor Slog is on life support. I’ve just been too drained of purpose and direction and energy to update of late, I guess. Damn this ADHD, for getting me to make promises I can’t keep!

Here is the running tally of things I have utterly failed to blog about:
  • My facial hair Odyssey
  • My exciting trip to the Bristol Renaissance Faire® in Wisconsin and the extension of my streak of personal intoxication
  • The utterly ridiculous nutpunch end to the baseball season
  • My career and education goals update
  • My attempt to replace baseball with hockey in order to ensure the winter months are just as depressing for me as the MLB Postseason
  • My return to Appetite Theatre, this time sans beard
  • My near complete conversion from apathetic Taoist Atheist to apathetic Rinzai Zen Atheist with Taoist leanings
  • My conviction that, though not undoable, Sarah Palin isn’t altogether that hot
  • The new ongoing series: Comics Ideas That Never Were
  • Will Wolter ever buy the Clash Shea Stadium live CD, or is it too much of a cash-in?
  • The Dark Underbelly of the Eighties, Part 1, Section C (Subsection ii) – will it be out before Chinese Democracy?
I suppose I should work on making that list more manageable, in an attempt to get caught up and provide anyone who still bothers to check what passes for a blog in my neck of the woods. So, I will provide a status report/brief entry:

My Facial Hair Odyssey
On the way. Honest.

My Exciting Trip To the Bristol Renaissance Faire® In Wisconsin
…and the extension of my streak of personal intoxication
Also pending.

The Utterly Ridiculous Nutpunch End To the Baseball Season
I am still far too pissed and sad to formulate anything worthwhile from the experience. Again, this isn’t a baseball blog for a reason.

My Career and Education Goals Update
I am still trying to make this possible, but I am very seriously considering going back to school for an MFA in Biomedical Visualization.

Screw you…I’m not joking.

I’ll need a several undergraduate courses to catch up, as well as a decent GRE score, and probably some serious help with letters of recommendations and some form of financial assistance (if I can even get that – given my previous woes with student loans). But this actually seems like a very cool, and very fulfilling, career path for me, if I can actually jump through the hoops.

My Attempt to Replace Baseball With Hockey In Order To Ensure the Winter Months Are Just as Depressing For Me As the MLB Postseason
My adopted “home” team is now 0-3 – but I haven’t actually watched a game yet. Still, Chicago sports is nothing, if not consistent. Go Blackhawks! I think!

My Return to Appetite Theatre, This Time sans Beard
You can find the info here. I am in the first show of the evening. I will be playing the part of "Peanuts."

My Near Complete Conversion from Apathetic Taoist Atheist To Apathetic Rinzai Zen Atheist With Taoist Leanings
I also can kinda gloss over the Zen/Taoism stuff, as I am far too mystified and new to the processes and ideas to be an apt explicator – and I’m already driving Ali crazy enough. Anyway, my buddy Gene is a hell of a lot better at talking about the processes and he’s pretty much on the same path as I am right now. The most I can say is that it actually appears to be completely compatible with my Atheism and my love of the Tao, while giving me a sensible (or at least sensibly nonsensical) process to a state of understanding and living in the world that might just be what I need to keep from wanting to murder Ryan Dempster.

My Conviction That, Though Not Undoable, Sarah Palin Isn’t Altogether That Hot
Though not undoable, Sarah Palin isn’t altogether that hot.

The New Ongoing Series: Comics Ideas That Never Were
Soon, my dear Reader (can I call you Reader? ‘Cause I already did). Soon.

Will Wolter Ever Buy the Clash Shea Stadium Live CD, or Is It Too Much Of a Cash-In?
The answer to both parts of the question is: probably.

The Dark Underbelly of the Eighties, Part 1, Section C (Subsection ii) – Will It Be Out Before Chinese Democracy?
The answer to this question is: probably not.

So, my new to-do list is as follows:
  • My facial hair Odyssey
  • My exciting trip to the Bristol Renaissance Faire® in Wisconsin and the extension of my streak of personal intoxication
  • The utterly ridiculous nutpunch end to the baseball season
  • My career and education goals update
  • My attempt to replace baseball with hockey in order to ensure the winter months are just as depressing for me as the MLB Postseason
  • My return to Appetite Theatre, this time sans beard
  • My near complete conversion from apathetic Taoist Atheist to apathetic Rinzai Zen Atheist with Taoist leanings
  • My conviction that, though not undoable, Sarah Palin isn’t altogether that hot
  • The new ongoing series: Comics Ideas That Never Were
  • Will Wolter ever buy the Clash Shea Stadium live CD, or is it too much of a cash-in?
  • The Dark Underbelly of the Eighties, Part 1, Section C (Subsection ii) – will it be out before Chinese Democracy?

I hope that was helpful. See you in 3 months when I realize that I have not updated The Slog since this entry, and do this all over again!1



  1. This is the longest Slog entry I’ve ever done without a footnote.2
  2. Shit.

5 comments:

Alibear said...

Well, I wouldn't say you're actually driving me crazy. But if you're going to pick a "religion" or a "following" with "puzzles" and "riddles" can't it at least give you the same super powers that Hindu Monk has in that Cohen or story or whatever the heck you call them things? 'Cause you walking on water, that's actually cool. And stuff. I think I could "sell" that Moses-like behavior to my folks and maybe they'd support us having some sort of future together. Although, I'm beginning to realize that they kinda like you more than me these days so maybe your smarts have done you good, good sir. I'm going back to bed now.

Wolter said...

I'm pretty sure sleeping when you're tired and eating when you're hungry is a miracle beyond any petty magic tricks.

Alibear said...

I'm sure "bite me" is a legitimate response when a jackass says something jackass-like.

Wolter said...

Are you implying that I should have told you to bite me? Because I didn't think you were being that much of a jackass...

Gene said...

Thanks for the shout out!

I'm going to steer way the fuck clear of the uh dispute, though.