Friday, November 14, 2008

101 things to do in 1001 days.

Okay, so the Alibear has made a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. Sort of a way of forcing oneself to get the things done that you want to get done.

Now apparently, I'm so much of a cynical asshole that she assumes I think this is stupid. Which I do NOT.

In fact, I have made my own list. Which is almost 90% joke free. Maybe even more so. So, by some unspecified time (I have no desire to do the math right now - maybe I'll make that #102) in 2011, I hope to have done the following.

  1. Write a non-lazy Slog post at least once a week

  2. Get on the ball about going back to school - find all requirements

  3. Sketch at least 20 minutes a day, every day.

  4. This item is classified Done

  5. Master pen-pad mouse. Make at least once project a week with it.

  6. Finish Dark Underbelly of the 80s

  7. Sit Zazen at least twice a week.

  8. Finish all unfinished Pynchon Novels. V., I am looking in your direction.

  9. Finish revising Killer Martian Robot's…On the Moon! Shop it around. Let someone else tell me it's unproducable for a change.

  10. Submit to at least 5 short play festivals.

  11. Finish all short plays that comprise A Square Peg in a Black Hole

  12. Audition for at least one paying gig a year with a company I do not know.

  13. Get headshots. If I don't, then stop acting.

  14. Get domain space, and make a webcomic.

  15. Assemble a genuine portfolio of artwork that can be used to apply for a job.

  16. Acquire a copy of the most cutting edge art program I can find. Learn to use it at andvanced level.

  17. Participate in a "Novel Marathon"

  18. Surprise the hell out of Ali with something romantic. Done

  19. Finish reading the Old Testament. Even Chronicles.

  20. Read at least 15 of the unread books that I already own.

  21. Ramp up presidential campaign ("Where's My Jetson's Shit, America?")

  22. Take all undergrad prerequisites to proposed MFA

  23. Visit home more often

  24. Call my family more often

  25. Make a better effort to keep in touch with friends in other cities.

  26. Learn to play at least one song on whatever guitar Ali finally gets.

  27. Learn to play at least one song on a piano/keyboard

  28. Work on my ear for music.

  29. Visit the Haymarket Bombsite on May Day.

  30. See more live music.

  31. See more live theatre.

  32. Create submission packet for a daily comic strip and submit to at least one syndicate, despite astronomical odds of pickup.

  33. Respond to at least 5 requests for freelance illustrators.

  34. Visit the Art Institute again

  35. Visit the Museum of Science and Industry again

  36. Visit the Field Museum again

  37. Visit the Shedd Aquarium again

  38. Visit the Adler Planetarium again

  39. Visit Lincoln Park Zoo more often. Take a sketchbook

  40. Go out to dinner more often. Not eat out. Go out. Plan it.

  41. Watch Ghostbusters and Citizen Kane back to back. Compare and contrast.

  42. Teach a crotchety old man the true meaning of Christmas Read a really good translation of the Greek Bible (New Testament)

  43. Read a really good translation of the Gnostic Gospels

  44. Read a really good translation of the Apocrypha.

  45. Finish Kapital and Wealth of Nations. Compare and contrast with Ghostbusters

  46. Make at least one large-scale painting.

  47. Make that logo for Northstar.

  48. Make a genuine attempt at writing a poem.

  49. Make a genuine attempt to read more poetry.

  50. Make more soup in cold weather. Done.

  51. Exercise a little bit.

  52. Work on saving more money.

  53. Work on spending less money

  54. Come up with a more effective way of managing my time.

  55. Get more sleep.

  56. Clean the bathroom from top to bottom

  57. Clean the kitchen from top to bottom

  58. Get the "Hellboy ace" tattoo.

  59. Walk to the lake more often Done

  60. Get away from town more often

  61. Try to get to more Cubs games while they still have a good team.

  62. Get proposed to Learn to play a new card game.

  63. Overcome hang-ups and see a movie in a theater alone.

  64. Find a word that rhymes with orange, silver, and purple. A single word. Done.

  65. Visit my brother in Philly.

  66. Invent an Origami sculpture that actually looks like an item in the real world.

  67. Clean/Rod out kitchen and bathroom traps and the bathtub drain. Done.

  68. Paint the apartment (or the new place)

  69. Get a passport. What kind of an awful, awful citizen of the world am I, anyway?

  70. This item is also classified

  71. Watch a Second City show again

  72. Replace/reattach the missing buttons on my pea coat. Done.

  73. Get new jeans/toss or donate old ones.

  74. Get new shirts and slacks for work/toss or donate old ones. Done.

  75. Purchase a decent suit. Done, sort of. (I was given one)

  76. Have more than 2/3 of my hair turn silver (I’m going to assume I don’t have a choice on this one, but hey…easy to achieve)

  77. Try not to make fun of the ENORMOUS fonts of any bloggers I cohabitate with. Done.

  78. Clean the carpet.

  79. Learn some new recipes.

  80. Eat more fruit.

  81. Eat more McRibs Done.

  82. Get my hands on some raw peanuts and boil them.

  83. Eat those boiled peanuts. Share if necessary.

  84. Upon visiting my family down south, talk my father into having an Oyster Roast.

  85. Update both my theatrical and office résumés.

  86. Spell résumé right the first time without using spell-check.

  87. Get a decent Spanish-English Dictionary and try to read Don Quixote in the original Español.

  88. Get a decent Spanish-English Dictionary and try to read Borges in the original Español.

  89. Finish reading the original Middle-English Canterbury Tales.

  90. Learn to pronounce the basic Hebrew prayers correctly so I don’t sound like the mostest Goyishe Goy in all of Goyim at every holiday I spend with Ali’s family.

  91. While I’m at it, memorize those prayers so I don’t have to think too hard about them.

  92. Be better about giving Christmas and birthday presents…and yes, Chanukah presents Ali…

  93. If the opportunity presents itself, watch a minor league ballgame AND/OR a major league ballgame in another city.

  94. Try not to let my hair ever get to the “Eight is Enough” bowl-cut shapelessness it often reaches between visits to the barber.

  95. Continue learning about hockey. Actually sit and watch games.

  96. Try to discover decent new music, instead of wallowing in my beloved 1976-1981 (he says as he listens to Devo).

  97. Schedule a trip to the dentist more regularly.

  98. Schedule a trip to the Opthalmologist in 2010 to make sure my eyes are still crappy in the same way they were in 2005. Done early. My glasses broke.

  99. Make sure to get more regular checkups/check that my shots are in order.

  100. Walk Sparky more often.

  101. Get that Dalmation skin coat made.

3 comments:

Alibear said...

This is, oddly, one of the most romantic things you've ever done. I'm so glad to see it. Thank you for taking me seriously. Thank you for taking yourself 90% seriously. I adore and love you, Wolter. :)

Gene said...

yeah romance and all that... I was thinking of doing one myself, but screwing the numbers and setting it for 2012 instead.

Wolter said...

Updated as of 3/21/09.