Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mandatory Addendum: Kvetching


How the hell could I write a Miscellany and not bitch about something? I must be slipping from lack of practice. Here's a couple of whinges for you, just so you feel complete:

Bitch the First

Monday morning, I realized I lost my CTA farecard, which means I have to use cash to ride the bus to and from work until my replacement card is mailed to me. That's annoying, but I'm not going to bitch about that in a blog (indeed, I haven't until today).

The weather outside is currently a "wintry mix" of sleet and snow. This is Chicago, so expecting it to warm up just because it's spring is asinine, so I won't bitch.

This is where the addition of straws gave my personal metaphorical camel a bulging disc: I have to transfer on my way home. Because I'm not made of money, I decide to walk from my job to Michigan Avenue (about a 10 minute jaunt, and not that unpleasant on most days - the bus ride takes all of 2-3 minutes without traffic). A ten minute jaunt through "wintry mix" (which is not as pleasant as it sounds - I imagine some sort of Chex mix with dried cranberries or something) by the lake in Chicago is roughly akin to spending 16 days in Dante's Third Circle of Hell. Especially when all you're wearing for warmth is a cable knit sweater (yeah, I look like the Old Spice Guy) and a light corduroy jacket.

Bitch the Second

So, I make it home in one piece, and upon entering the door, IMMEDIATELY smell piss. Sparky looks guilty. I do a slow burn. Then I look over and see it's on the "puppy pad." Sweet. No biggie, I'll just throw that out and---



Oh for crying out loud, Sparky.


He got about half of it on the pad. The rest? On the surprisingly hard to clean linoleum.


Welcome home, Jon.


Well, I should go...I now have to clean a chincilla and rabbit hutch. I leave you with the question rattling around in my head like a BB in a coffee can:


At what point did my life actually start revolving around the waste of small mammals?

EDIT: I just realized I totally pissed and moaned about the Carbon/Silicon show in the earlier blog, thus rendering the central premise of this blog a lie. Oh well, what are you gonna do, huh?

No comments: