Sunday, March 2, 2008

Swastikas=Comedy Gold


As one may have guessed from recent posts, I'm dating a person of the Jewish persuasion. Have been for some time now. The culture shock is not as bad as one might think, and it turns out I'm quite good at blowing the Shofar.1

But every now and then...well, I get confused by her. First and foremost, by her own admission, she's not a very good Jew. The only reason she doesn't eat pork is that she's allergic to it. Which she only found out by, well, eating it.2

Bad Jew.

But that still didn't prepare me for the exchange I had last night, regarding this picture I used on my last entry:


Exhibit A

The exchange, delivered as close to verbatim as my crappy memory can make it:

Ali: You should have put a swastika on it. That would have been funnier.

Jon: I'm not really sure if a swastika is exactly the idea--

Ali: It would be funnier.

Jon: That's not what I'm trying to say with--

Ali: You're overthinking this.
Now, I am of German descent. We are not known as a funny people. However, Ali hails from a people long renowned for their comedic tradition. So how can I argue with the inherent comedy of Charles Foster von Kane: Hatemonger?



1. Not nearly as vulgar as you would think. Sorry.
2. ibid

3 comments:

Official Ted Lilly Fan Club said...

There are two things that have been funny throughout time: Midgets and Clowns. Swastika's... not so much.

We suggest a compromise. Combine the Swastika with one of these and see if that flies. Example: "Citizen Kane would be much funnier with a Clown Midget covered in Swastikas."

That, our friend, is comedic gold.

Wolter said...

I suspect Ed Wade would sign that Clown Midget. Well, only if he was suspected of juicing.

Anonymous said...

Good post.