Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Whole World Loves Adam Ant, Damn It!

Man, this site's getting image search hits from all over the world just because I put a photo of Gozer the Destructor (in the form of Adam Ant, circa 1981) in one of my posts. Who knew the demand was so high? Apparently, Southeast Asia and large swaths of Africa long for photos of the leaders of the New Romantic movement.

So, in a shameless attempt to boost my hit count (and become The Next Big Thing in Malaysia), here you go, Third World. A trip down Synthpop Memory Lane:

First up is the ever stylish Midge Ure and his fabulous moustache. Ultravox is the probably the first band to have a hit on the pop charts with a lead singer that looks like a maître d' in a Peter Sellers comedy.

"Would sir care to see the wine list?"

Who doesn't love Spandau Ballet? Apparently their hairdresser. Who was probably the guy from Flock of Seagulls. This actually looks disturbingly like a yearbook photo.


"TRUE!!!!"

Remember Japan? I'm sure anyone searching from Manchuria does!1 Trivia: judging by this photo, a cane-brandishing Melanie Griffith joined the band in 1980.



A Candid Moment on the set of Working Girl

What the hell happened to Boy George? Seriously. What. The. Hell? I'm hoping someone in Senegal wants to know.


I DEFY you to name everything wrong with this picture.

Okay, Duran Duran. I'm not going to make fun of Duran Duran. Their name comes from a softcore sci-fi skin flick starring Jane Fonda. Which, conceptionally speaking, rules. Also, two words: Seven. Andtheraggedtiger.2 The only real downside is, thanks to A View To A Kill, they occasionally make the image of Roger Moore schtupping Grace Jones pop into my head...3

"Sorry about that, Wolter"

Also, I have recently become aware of a little known requirement by blogger.com: if you have a blog, and you mention baseball, you must post a picture of Alyssa Milano in her cutesy little Dodger gear at least once a year. So this is as good a place as any:


There. Are you satisfied, Blogger?

Which reminds me, I have a lot of issues with the show "Charmed," which I may4 address here at a later date. Or in therapy.



  1. Everybody loves a good relatively obscure War Atrocity joke! Right, guys? Next entry, I'll be referencing the Armenian Genocide under Ottoman Rule!
  2. Sorry. I know. I cheated. It's technically one word and a number.
  3. Yeah. I know. It probably wasn't fair for me to mention that. I apologize for putting that image in your mind.
  4. I hate to make any promises, as I already feel like I've let down every single fan of The Goonies.

2 comments:

Alibear said...

Do you ever wonder if I never came along if you'd actually be one of the characters from last night's 6 Feet Under? Blue Twister issue #1...anyone? :)

Wolter said...

Says the person who has "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" in her car RIGHT NOW.